The Pit's Mac & Cheese Recipe
Make one of our favorite side dishes at home!
2 ½ lbs. macaroni pasta
2 c. milk
4 tbs. (½ stick) butter
2 c. half and half
¼ c. corn starch
2 tbs. water
¾ lb. cheddar cheese, shredded
¼ lb. Parmesan cheese, shredded
2 oz. cream cheese
¼ tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
½ tsp. black pepper, plus more to taste
1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water. Drain and set aside.
2. For the cheese sauce, combine milk, butter and half & half in large pot. Bring to simmer at on low heat.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together corn starch and water until combined. Add to simmering milk mixture and cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
4. In a separate bowl, combine cheddar, Parmesan and cream cheese with salt and pepper. Break the cream cheese into small chunks with your hands to incorporate.
5. Add hot cream and corn starch mixture to the bowl with the cheeses. Use an immersion blender, or transfer to a food processor, to mix everything together until all cheese has melted and sauce is smooth.
6. Place cooked pasta in a large baking dish and pour on the cheese sauce.
7. Top with ½ pound white and yellow cheddar cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes until cheese is melted and internal temperature is 145 degrees. Top with breadcrumbs if desired. Enjoy!